April 21, 2014
April – May 2014
The 2nd and 3rd Floors of Firestone are now open! Enjoy these completed spaces for quiet areas to study. Browse the new brightly lit book stacks, study in one of the many new study carrels, or relax, read or reflect in one of the many beautiful reading rooms. View the artwork that is new to the Firestone Library.
Phase 3 of the Firestone renovation is ongoing. The southwest areas of B and C Floors, and the northwest area of A Floor are part of this phase. Please note the following updates:
- The asbestos abatement project is complete for the current phase of work. Occasional limited abatement work will be ongoing throughout the renovation.
- C Floor – Construction partitions are in place and the mechanical, electrical and plumbing work is ongoing in the work area. Spray foam insulation for the storage areas will be installed over the next few weeks during 2nd shift (3:00pm - 11:00pm). The area will be exhausted however, expect some odor in adjacent areas above and adjacent to the construction area.
- B Floor – The existing shelves and wall partitions have been demolished and tracks for the new compact shelving are being installed. Expect drilling and other construction noise during this work, particularly heard on the A Floor in the newly renovated spaces. Expect disruptive noise from the cutting and chipping of the existing floor slab and contractor activity from the loading dock as the contractors bring lightweight concrete into the building. The concrete is used to fill in the floor area between the new compact shelving rails.
- A Floor – Contractors are working installing ductwork and other services in the ceiling area, which houses the majority of the building systems for the A, B, and C Floors. Expect drilling and other construction noise from this area, that will especially be heard on the first floor and adjacent areas on A Floor.
- Stair #5 – Access to A Floor from the Trustee Reading Room only
- Loading dock entrance - There will be increased activity at the loading dock as we near commencement, and we ramp up for several summer projects. Please use caution when using this entrance! Expect an upcoming closure of this entrance to staff for a period of time. More information to follow.
- North lawn above the ’71 and ’88 additions - Test pits are being dug in certain areas as we investigate the waterproofing membrane and condition of the existing roof.
- Original bathrooms on the west side of the A,B, and C floors are now permanently closed. New bathrooms are located off the elevator lobby on all floors.
- Note: General hours of construction are 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Weather & Traffic Report
What’s Noisy, What’s Quiet?
What’s Open? What’s Closed?
Every effort is being made to schedule the most disruptive work during off hours and keep noise and dust to a minimum.
If renovation NOISE is getting to you, please reach out to Peggy Kehrer at email@example.com or call 609.258.0925.
For questions or comments, please contact:
Peggy Kehrer, Library Construction & Communications Coordinator
609.258.0925 or firstname.lastname@example.org